By: Fatima Rozen M. Mirabueno
- Non-Revenue Water is the percentage of water loss in the distribution system that does not generate revenue for the water utility.
HOW DOES IT AFFECT YOU
The high percentage of Non-Revenue Water from the Water Utility could lead to the following:
- It can reduce the ability of the water supply provider to meet customers’ needs
- This may cause intermittent water supply
- Unregulated pressure may cause water interruptions during peak hours
- Because of unreliable supply, concessionaires may opt for alternative sources which may jeopardize water quality.
WHAT WE ARE DOING
The District is geared toward ensuring that non-revenue water is at an acceptable percentage.
- Constitution of NRW Committee
- The members are tasked to provide oversight of the non-revenue reduction program, and formulate, implement, monitor, and evaluate activities and projects to address the NRW.
- Strengthen Policy against Illegal Connections
- Policy and procedures on investigation and apprehension are now in place, a dedicated team was also tasked to inspect and monitor any suspicious individual.
- Pilot testing for District Metering Area (DMA)
- The DMA is the zoning of the distribution system for micro-level monitoring of the inflow and water loss in an area.
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
- PROACTIVELY REPORT LEAKS OR BUSTED PIPES
Big or small, it is important to report leaky pipes. Hidden leaks are most often hard to find reporting leaks aids in the immediate repair of pipes. Also, fast immediate reporting of pipe damage can help minimize loss.
- REPORT ILLEGALITIES
Illegalities are most often hidden in the naked eye, being vigilant and reporting suspicious activities will lead to a successful apprehension of illegal connections. A tipster’s fee will be given to individuals who will report these illicit activities.